Thursday, March 29, 2012

cold

Have you ever been in a situation that seemed endless, which eventually you really couldn't believe that you were still waiting or that whatever scenario it was hadn't changed; and then more time would go by, and you think back to when you were so incredulous, so now you're even more incredulous, and you really begin to question if things will ever change because you even begin to wonder if there ever was a time before this time, when you weren't doing this thing or in this current state, and then maybe you get distracted for a moment and something else captures your attention, but it's a fleeting moment and soon the entire weight of this seemingly eternal thing is once again slammed back down upon you, and just when it seems like it's going to end, it gets even worse, kinda like how a dying star saves the worst of its fury for the very end, except that here it's not a star that is swelling more and more toward a supernova, rather it's the globe of impatience and agitation that is expanding inside your head, until a moment finally arrives which alleviates- at least to some degree- this quandary that you've been in?



That's what this winter in Korea has been like. It's been cold.  And it's been long. It's been bitterly cold here for so long, that I'm not sure if it's been warm since I've been back. I returned here mid-October, so it couldn't have been that bad back then. But I really have no recollection of it. As far as I'm concerned, it's been freezing for 5 months. It hasn't been snowing or anything, it's just been miserable.

But today! Today, finally, it wasn't terribly cold. I mean, I still needed a jacket during my 10 minute walk to work, but I didn't have to zip it up! I can't tell you how happy that made me. I've been ready for spring for so long, and it seemed like it would never get here, but alas, it appears as though it may finally be right around the corner.

And yeah, I know you turkeys back in Delaware have had it mild all winter. You don't have to rub that in my face.



Remember when I wrote about book reports a little while ago? I took a picture of one today so that you can see just what a daunting task it is to try to squeeze a modicum of coherent English out of them.


The kid who wrote that is like 11 years old, and as far as I know he didn't write it with his feet. Although I can't be sure who it is exactly, because he didn't put his name on it. I assume he's being coy. He's kinda like my school's version of Will Hunting. But the faculty have answered, and answered with vigor.

2 comments: